Friday, November 6, 2009

Training Our Children (prev. posted on Myspace 11/07/07)

So this one spins off of the blog I wrote "The Land Of The Free?" Probably going to be a series of blogs about this until my voice is heard! Lol, anyways.

I had mentioned that we needed to bring prayer back into the schools, or at least not harass those who chose to pray, and a friend brought up a very good point that I want to address now. How can we let our kids pray now, when we know that little Timmy brought a gun to school to shoot billy, because he said his mother was a whore? If they will shoot over calling someone names, what would they do if akhmed told bobby that his god was better? It would be horrible, right now.
What we need to do is train our children that it's OK to be different. Yes we need to start teaching this in school, but school alone isn't going to help. The parents have to show it as well, or the kids will never listen. You are the biggest role model your child has growing up. I know from personal experience, that when my step kids go to their father's or he is mentioned, I am careful not to say anything discouraging about him, around them. When their momma happens to mention something about they way she believes, I don't say anything around them that would sound like I'm challenging her, or cutting her belief system down. I myself, am a practitioner, and I never tell them that my way is the best, even if it is the best way for me. That would be wrong, and goes against everything I stand for. One week this past summer they went to Vacation Bible School at a local baptist church. I rolled my eyes when I heard, but the where already there. When they got home, I listened to everything they told me, and showed them the best encouragement that I knew how to, and even spent two hours on Sunday evening at the church with them, because they wanted a parent present, and my wife had to work. Yes, I was uncomfortable, but it is important to me to show I support them, no matter what they do or choose to believe in.
Do you do things like this with your kids? Or are you set in your ways, and without realizing, training your kids to be just like little billy, and Timmy?
Yes their only four and five, and they might not fully understand everything, but they already pick up on everything you say and do, and are remembering it. Both my kids can sing "Gravedigger" -Dave Mathews Band, word for word. They know a bunch of country songs they listen to with their mother, as well as metal and rock songs they listen to with me. My boy even knows and head bangs along with me to songs like "Crazy Train" and "Enter the Sandman." Everything you do, they pick up on. My children are exposed to many different things, two of my roommates are atheist, two are backslidden Baptist girls, one I don't even know what he is, and myself I am a practitioner. I believe we expose our kids to many things, therefore they will be more open to others in school and eventually, everyday life. Billy yells at Akeem and says his ways are wrong, now in school, and ends up 3127946523079 sitting in a prison cell somewhere for hate crimes, or even killing someone, just because we showed him it's OK to hate others.
So what are you raising your children to be? Little billy's of the world? Or children who except others, and make it in life with little strife?
Think About It!

No comments:

Post a Comment