Sunday, November 8, 2009

Individuality

Today was such a beautiful day, so me and my buddy were sitting out on the porch talking for awhile and one of the conversations we had really struck me and I wanted to share with you.

Why is it parents are always disappointed with you when and if you do something that isn't in their plan for you, like tattoo's, piercings, jobs, spouses, etc? I realize all parents want whats best for their children, and want them to succeed, but just because you get a tattoo or whatever doesn't mean you've failed. Your children are not you, they never will be, everyone is unique and different and special in their own way. What we do to ourselves isn't to fit in, or stand out, or whatever, it's to express our individuality. I am blessed to say my dad doesn't look down on me or discredit me for any of my tats or piercings, regardless of if he likes them or not. He understands that I am my own person. But most can't say that.
Parents aren't they only ones who do this though. Most people do this whether they realize it or not. If you don't dress a certain way, or drive a certain type of vehicle, or listen to the certain type of music, then you aren't cool enough to hang out with them. Why? What's that about? They don't like it when someone gives them crap for the things they do, so why do the same to others?
We are a nation based on different ethnics, backgrounds, and individuality making us a whole. I have been lucky enough to surround myself with people who are like minded and don't care what you wear, listen to, drive, etc. As long as your open minded enough to except us for who we are, we will do the same for you.
So i challenge you: The next time you start to judge someone based on appearances, stop and ask yourself, "How would I feel if it were me?" Give them a chance, you could be turning away a potential best friend you'd ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment