Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

It's Memorial Day, how Are you planning on spending it? Some people have to work, some people have the day off & plan to celebrate with fireworks & a cook out or Maybe a trip to the beach. Some people have already started their celebrating this past Friday when Memorial weekend started. However you plan to spend your day/weekend, please, be safe.
That being said, How many of you remember what today is about? Originally started to remember the African-American men Who died in the Civil War, after WWI it broadened to be a day of remembrance for all who have died in any conflict past & present. I'm sure many of you have a family member or friend who is currently or has served in our Armed Forces at some point. My Grandpa served in the Korean War. I actually have one of his dogtags, It's been hanging from my rear view in just about every car I've Ever drove. My Grandma can recite his id number to this day, I Guess after writing 360 some odd letters it tends to stick in your memory banks.
But how many of us actually stop to Think about what these men & women have been through? What Their going through? How many times have you thanked a vet for the sacrifices they have made for us to have the freedom to sit at home or work & pull our phone out or sit at the computer & check our Twitter feed or Facebook status?
I think in today's age, Where we have instant access to anything we want, we tend to take Things for granted, be absent minded.
So my challenge to you today is to take the time out of whatever your schedule is & Thank a vet for what they've done. I personally have already wrote my Grandpa & one of my close friends who did two tours in Iraq & thanked them. It you've already done this then good for you.
Let's also remember there are men & women Still deployed & they have family & loved ones who want them home. Keep them in your thoughts & prayers today.
I personally want To thank every Vet & anyone who has contributed to them for all they have done for Me. I am eternally grateful.
Think about it.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment